[CAUT] collodion properties (was: Hamburg Steinway Hammer, Voicing (Up) )

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Jul 30 11:59:26 MDT 2010

On Jul 30, 2010, at 10:56 AM, Ed Sutton wrote:

> I think the Pianotek stuff is ground up plexiglas.

Yes, no doubt. I wonder how much different it is from Paraloid B-72.
In general, plastics maintain their "plasticity" (flexibility) through
use of a "plasticizer" which is somewhat solvent-like, and which seems
to evaporate and disappear over time to varying degrees. Plastic
elbows being a case in point. So it is probably not just the plastic
(resin) itself that matters, but also other parts of the formulation.
Which often makes it very difficult for us to communicate with any
kind of precision - since we may be talking about different substances
with the same basic name. Though Paraloid B-72 dissolved in a
particular alcohol is plenty precise. As is (probably) collodion of a
particular name dissolved in some particular solvent.

Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
http://www.youtube.com/fredsturm