[CAUT] beginning torque - why so high?

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Fri Jul 30 11:28:35 MDT 2010

 David Skolnik writes:

Is it just me, or are the average numbers being discussed (area of 150 - 270 lbs. torque) exceptionally high?
 :
>Bob Hull wrote:
>>Thanks for the input.     6.5 mm bit drilled at 1100 >>rpm  (following the 1/4") gave me about 170 in. lbs.   I'm going >>with that for this block.

I was wondering about that too.  I don't want anything to do with torque that high.  I tuned a Falconwood block this a.m. that I installed in 1984.  It had 120 in/lbs when done, it has about 110 now.  That is as much torque as I need, and since I have usually spent my life with my rebuilds, I have a keen interest in making them as easy to tune as I can.  I love the mid 30's Bosendorfer I tune with about 90 in/lbs.  It has been that way for the 30 years I have known it, and it is so nice to tune.
  Also, I certainly don't need as much torque in the top octave as I do for those single strings on a D.  I intentionally make a looser fit in the treble.
Regards,
Ed Foote (now heading for the country to play some guitar after a week totally swamped with piano work).