[CAUT] Hamburg Steinway Hammer Voicing (Up)

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 28 10:36:53 MDT 2010

Because I work mostly with German hammers, and only re-hammer a few pianos a year, I don't have a broad experience with hardeners. My choice, when I need it, is blond shellac in alcohol. The shellac flakes have an eternal shelf life, and the alcohol is non-toxic (unless you drink it!). Apply last of the day, and it is fully hardened next morning. Small applications can be accelerated with a hair dryer. Too much shellac can be easily flushed out. There is historical precedent for using shellac.

It sounds like collodion would be much faster. Perhaps ether could be used to make a fast drying shellac?

How I wish some well-funded, objective researcher would test several sets of hammers using all the different materials and give us a comprehensive report!

Ed S.