[CAUT] Hamburg Steinway Hammer Voicing (Up)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Jul 28 09:56:29 MDT 2010

On Jul 28, 2010, at 9:50 AM, Ed Sutton wrote:

> When we add juices to hammers, are we trying to bind or cement the
> wool fibers together, or are we trying to size and stiffen the
> individual fibers? I tend to think we are sizing and stiffening the
> fibers, using very thin solutions which partially penetrate and coat
> the fibers. Is this better done by something stiff or flexible, or
> does it matter?

Well put. That is along the lines of the questions I have been asking.
I think like you that we are trying to stiffen individual fibers, and
whether stiff or flexible is better is an open question, one that
probably doesn't have a definitive answer.
	While I have heard people talk about using collodion, usually thinned
with ether, I am not at all clear whether they meant stiff or
flexible. I think it likely they meant stiff, in which case it is
simply the same thing (essentially) as lacquer with acetone (to speed
drying, like ether would do).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu