[CAUT] Hamburg Steinway Hammer Voicing (Up)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Jul 28 08:43:14 MDT 2010

On Jul 27, 2010, at 8:21 PM, Ed Foote wrote:

>           It is my experience that sanding sealer is much softer
> than lacquer.  I remember a guitar refinisher that decided it would
> be easier to buff out a sealer finish than to shoot lacquer over
> it.  The finish was so soft that it got scratched by anything that
> touched it.

"Softer" yes, but more flexible? Certainly easier to scratch or buff,
but I have assumed it is because the plastic-like molecules can't grow
as long because of the dust (that Dale tells us is zinc stearate).
Less "brittle" I think would be the same cause: it doesn't propagate
long cracks like glass, because the material is less continuous. But I
think it breaks more easily, in the context of coating hammer fibers.
Hence, it is a less aggressive hardener. But I don't think this is
because of a greater flexibility of material.
	I'm trying to get at the basic principles here, along the same lines
as hard and flexible collodion. My guess is that flexible collodion
would behave differently than sanding sealer, but it is a guess
without any practical experience to back it up.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." Twain