[CAUT] Hamburg Steinway Hammer Voicing (Up)

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Tue Jul 27 20:21:25 MDT 2010

 Fred writes:

  I don't think sanding sealer is less brittle and more flexible than lacquer. I would think the opposite if anything - more flex would mean more likelihood of gumming up sandpaper, and it doesn't. When it dries, in hammers, I think it is more likely to "break" because of discontinuity caused by the dust. That is how I have pictured it. If anyone has different information, I'd like to hear i

          It is my experience that sanding sealer is much softer than lacquer.  I remember a guitar refinisher that decided it would be easier to buff out a sealer finish than to shoot lacquer over it.  The finish was so soft that it got scratched by anything that touched it.
    I know that some lacqers are harder than others, and there is a line of finish, (Qualusol??) that was offered in different hardnesses.  I'm not a chemist, so I don't know how the hardness is created.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT
 =