[CAUT] Retesting

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Tue Jul 27 21:11:42 MDT 2010

Please note below that my suggestion was in regard to continuing education credits, not recertification exams.

Ed

Ed wrote:

>We could spend some time imagining new ways to give exams.

>Physicians can earn continuing education credits via on-line testing which is fully computer
>scored and managed. These tests are basic reading questions to show that the doctor has
>read  the material. The purpose of an exam after a continuing education class would be to
>demonstrate that the student had attended and listened somewhat. It would not be a scored
>assessment of competency.

  Israel replied:

  There still have to be safeguards against restraint of trade issues - which is the problem we are dealing with here. We can't have one person deciding on the basis of some pop quiz or quick test whether or not someone met the criteria for recertification - whatever those might be. The requirements for objectivity still have to be met. Computer scoring meets this requirement. A pop quiz or a quickie hands-on test after a class do not.