[CAUT] Retesting

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 27 20:17:13 MDT 2010

>Tue, 27 Jul 2010 20:58:11 -0400 From: "Ed Sutton" <ed440 at mindspring.com>

>We could spend some time imagining new ways to give exams.

>Physicians can earn continuing education credits via on-line testing which is fully computer
>scored and managed. These tests are basic reading questions to show that the doctor has
>read the material. The purpose of an exam after a continuing education class would be to
>demonstrate that the student had attended and listened somewhat. It would not be a scored
>assessment of competency.

There still have to be safeguards against restraint of trade issues - which is the problem we are dealing with here. We can't have one person deciding on the basis of some pop quiz or quick test whether or not someone met the criteria for recertification - whatever those might be. The requirements for objectivity still have to be met. Computer scoring meets this requirement. A pop quiz or a quickie hands-on test after a class do not.

>Recertification exams would need more careful construction, but I believe it is possible to
>create computer administered exams, similar to those used in psycho-physics labs to establish
>perceptual thresholds, which would be fully objective and also self-scoring.
> -Videos could be made of action models with various regulation failures, with appropriate
>multiple choice questions. The test could be scored according to how many repetions of the
> video it takes for the examinee to identify the problem.
> -Tuning tests could be made by recording temperament test patterns, and testing how well and
> how quickly the examinee could identify out-of-tune notes.

>Comments?

This is all very nice in theory, but people would have to work full time and get paid very nice salaries to develop and continuously update these sort of exams (not to mention the programming skills required) - because if you keep running the same videos and computer programs over-and-over-and-over again for 1000 exams per year, how long do you think it will be before everyone out there knows what all the right answer are? I bet before 1/5th of the candidates get around to taking the test. Sorry, Ed, but whatever ideas you or anyone might devise will be expensive and labor-intensive. If the PTG wants to progress, it needs to get off this "volunteer-based" model and start paying people for their time and labor. And find the revenue to do it. And then all these ideas might have a chance of becoming actualities.

And as far as your tuning re-exam idea - well, here is where we run into a big problem. Identifying out-of-tune notes is a very small portion of the skills required of a competent tuner. A recertification exam involves the maintenance of skills - and one that does not involve actual application of manual plus aural skills is pretty much meaningless. Because as we age (or get addicted to ETDs) we lose a portion of all those skills. And a meaningfull test would have to test for all those skills in combination. It wouldn't have to be a complete tuning - but without actual tuning of something a test has little value. So a video or audio tuning recert exam has little credibility as far as I am concerned.

Israel Stein