[CAUT] Hamburg Steinway Hammer Voicing (Up)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Jul 27 19:15:51 MDT 2010

On Jul 27, 2010, at 11:44 AM, Israel Stein wrote:

> Fred, Ed and all,
>
> Thank you all for your suggestions. Margie and I are working on this
> piano right now. We needled some sample hammers as per the
> suggestions below, and we achieved a noticeable tonal improvement -
> deeper, richer tone in the bass and more "round" tone in the treble
> along with better projection there. But not much additional "oomph"
> in the bass. We'll needle the rest of the hammers, see what that
> accomplishes, and take it from there. I'll keep y'all posted. But it
> does seem that the bass is going to need some liquid assistance...
>
> Israel Stein

	Just to be thorough, the foundations should be examined: travel,
square of hammers, and mating. It is not at all unusual for bass
hammers to lose a lot of power and focus from mating issues, and
bichords are often quite badly out of level (not to mention that if
the hammers are hung at an angle intentionally, that will cause a
mating issue). Also, bass sections tend to be the worst for having
travel that all goes in some direction, and hammer angles that are
likewise all slanted (and not necessarily the right way, or too much
the right way). Among other things, this leads to a bit of brushing of
hammers (maybe just the loose fibers, and you can't see it) with their
neighbors.
	All these little things together can add up to a lot of mush and lack
of power and focus.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
"I am only interested in music that is better than it can be played."
Schnabel