[CAUT] Re Retesting

jrpiano jrpiano at eastlink.ca
Tue Jul 27 12:58:14 MDT 2010

Hi Jim,
Thank you.
I did have a smiley after my comment about leaving, and Israel did make me
realize, I was oversimplifying a very complex problem.
Next term is the 21st year for me at the university, I have a contract with.
Just a small one with 40 pianos, which they just have enough money in the
budget, to tune and do running repairs on.
An RPT designation without work experience, is meaningless.
So to tell a University to higher a tuner with RPT after their name, could
backfire, if they just got a tuner with RPT after their name, and no
experience.
Ok one more thought.
No tests, but how about the book idea, with a record of classes and
conventions attended.
The fact that some teachers attended classes, without any intension of
learning doesn't apply.
I think that conventions probably cost the attendees, at least $1000.
Any tuner spending that much money, is probably there to learn and improve
him/her self.
Having a record of attendance at which classes, should mean something, even
without a test.
So how about a book with different sections, showing the attendance.
Sections could be tuning, voicing, regulation etc.
When they hand in the class critic forms, they get it stamped and
initialled.
The book shouldn't cost too much to produce.
Ok, now back to the lurking area.
Best regards,
John,
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada