[CAUT] Workload; was Position announcement

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Jul 23 20:10:47 MDT 2010

On Jul 23, 2010, at 7:12 PM, tnrwim at aol.com wrote:

> But lets get on the same page here. Does the PTG want to promote the
> RPT,or not?

	Yes, it seems that the official policy of PTG is gung ho, rah, rah
RPT brand. I'm sorry, I am all through being a "good soldier."
Promoting RPT to colleges and universities as anything other than a
bare minimum on which to build is not only a waste of time, energy and
money, it will backfire on us. As exemplified by Bill Balmer's post.
His is not an isolated incident. I'd liken it to promoting a paramedic
or a paralegal where a doctor or a lawyer are needed.
	Anyone who thinks RPT is the be all and end all needs to think again.
Maybe it works for the general public, those who have their pianos
tuned because they heard they ought to do so once and a while. It does
not work for serious musical institutions. Period. They require a
level of skills so far above RPT, there is no comparison. If that
labels me as a (shudder) "elitist," so be it.
	The one way I think PTG can promote itself and its members to serious
musical institutions is as a source of information and training. There
is no question that PTG is very good at bringing together excellent
technicians and providing at least a certain level of training - and
those who want can find access to more. But it is quite clear that PTG
is not really seriously in the business of certifying a professional
level of skill, and probably never will be.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
http://www.createculture.org/profile/FredSturm