[CAUT] workload

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Fri Jul 23 19:29:13 MDT 2010

Bill

If the university was "happy" with the work of the previous RPT, then there was no reason why they would think a non-RPT would do any better. There could be any number of reasons why the previous tech didn't do the work, including the lack of funds and/or time to do the work. Also, how long had it been since he left the school? The problems you encountered could have been created after he left.

When you showed them how the pianos were supposed to be, you educated them on the importance of being an RPT.  As I just mentioned in the other post, being an RPT should be a minimum requirement. Hopefully a school will do a more in depth interview, including a tuning demonstration, and get some letters of recommendations.

As far as looking for specific problems with an action, I did the same thing once at a chapter meeting. I took one octave, and did something "wrong" to each key, and then asked others to figure out what was wrong with each key. As was in your case, there was only one tech who identified all the problems. The primary reason I think it was hard to do is that in general, when we encounter a piano, all of the notes will need let off adjusted, and/or drop or reps adjusted, etc. etc. It is much easier to identify a problem when all the keys have the same thing wrong with them.

Wim