[CAUT] Workload; was Position announcement

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Jul 23 17:24:12 MDT 2010

On Jul 23, 2010, at 12:40 PM, tnrwim at aol.com wrote:

> Not to reiterate, but if the PTG wants universities to hire RPT's,
> we need to do a LOT more promotion in that area. I heard a new data
> base has been, or is being, created with all the music schools
> around the country. When that happens, we need to send information
> to these schools at least one a year, if not more often.

Such a database has been in existence for more than three decades. The
College Music Society maintains it, keeping fairly current lists of
all faculty at all music degree granting institutions among other
things. We (PTG, the CAUT committee) obtained that list a number of
years back, and did one or perhaps two mailings either to the whole
list or to an abridged one.
	I am not sure how effective direct mail can be. I know most of what I
receive goes unopened into the recycling bin. Music administrators get
an enormous volume. While I agree it is good to maximize communication
and develop as high a profile as we can (as an organization), how to
do that effectively is an open question.
	I have to say I do NOT believe we should invest heavily in getting
universities to hire RPTs per se. RPT unfortunately is not a good
indicator of the skills needed. In tuning, it says nothing about
whether someone can produce clean _and_ solid unisons. With respect to
high level regulation and voicing of grands it says nothing
whatsoever. Just to mention a couple of the most obvious shortcomings.
Someone who expects that an RPT, without other qualifications, is
ready to do a caut job will be disappointed, and it will reflect badly
on the organization if we imply differently, IMO.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico
fssturm at unm.edu