[CAUT] acu-just and setting bearing

Dr. Henry Nicolaides drsnic4 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 23 13:05:07 MDT 2010

I have finished restringing (not bass strings yet) a Baldwin R with acu-just
 hitch pins and am getting ready to chip tune.  My question, and after
rereading the procedure again, is: all strings on the treble bridge must
 be set a proper height on their hitch pins to read zero (0.0).
Then pull the piano up to A440 before setting bearing?  Also, I have run out of hitch pin and
some of the strings still have bearing.  I am afraid if I lift the
string any further it will come off the hitch pin.  Have any of you had
similar experiences, and if so, what did you do given bearing was still on the
bridge?

Henry Nicolaides
Piano
 Technician