[CAUT] pushing pianos

tannertuner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Fri Jul 23 10:29:26 MDT 2010

I have a high school with a D in a new performance venue. The actual wooden stage floor is about 2 inches above the level of the concrete backstage area floor where the piano is stored. They made a tapered lip so that the piano can be moved back and forth, and for the most part, they've had no problems. But last summer, the humidity had the wooden stage floor a little more swollen. Even with the stage manager, choral director and her husband being the only ones allowed to move the piano, and as a team, moving carefully and slowly over the bump, they broke the lyre (cracked at the socket). No students were involved.

So, there is ALWAYS the risk of damage. I'm of the opinion that moving a piano long distances on the stage truck demonstrates and teaches disrespect of the instrument. (It also wears out the casters) If the instructor wants to teach pushing pianos around, teach it in a short distance scenario. I realize this is a teaching moment, but what will be taken away is that this is an acceptable method of moving expensive pianos. Stage trucks are for stages, churches and classrooms. Leave long distance moves to insured professionals.

Jeff Tanner