[CAUT] pushing pianos

James Patrick Draine draine at me.com
Fri Jul 23 10:27:30 MDT 2010

Hi Alan,
I think balancing your interest in getting the students involved, and learning, in the process of the piano move, should be balanced by a cost estimate for the task to be done by professional movers, followed by passing this information, along with a cost evaluation of the piano and potential (not likely, but rather conceivable) injuries to students, to your superiors to sign off on.
I think they will prioritize assembling appropriate (sufficiently institutionally compensated and insured) custodial staff to carry out the move under your supervision. Maybe your class of students can learn something from observing the process (especially if there's a quiz after the event).
Best wishes,
Patrick Draine, home recovering from shoulder surgery, partly necessary after 30 years of tuning, in combination with a 4 mph "mountain" bicycle accident 8 years ago, and an icy sidewalk 2 years ago