[CAUT] Position announcement, James Madison University/extra help...

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Jul 19 13:52:28 MDT 2010

I didn't see the 51K.  Yeah, this will be a bear of a job! I'll bet a lot
(most) of those uprights are Bostons and the "lesser" brand.

I'm now even more happy with my 110....split about 50/50 with uprights and
grands, and we only have one new Disklavier in the last year.(Really nice
one!..easy to break in!) The rest are pretty stable Steinways/Yamahas/ and
mixed stuff.

OK; some(many) are getting old, but I'm keeping them up/rebuilding, etc to
good condition.  They didn't mention how many harpsichords, fortepianos,
pedal-clavs, clavs, verginals and other oddities they probably have. Even
with stable (for the most part) pianos, 110 is still overwhelming and I
can't get a part time assistant.

I hesitate to find a student, as I would have to take 10-15 hours/week to
train them. We have no budget anyway to pay them, so they would have to
learn on the fly with no pay.  Not a good possibility.  Especially with
new students, I would have to go in and re-fix what they do so the pianos
work .All pianos get used daily. I teach a spring semester class that
usually has 4-6 students, and my follow up time on their "pre-educated"
mistakes also takes time so that they're all ready to play for practicing
students.

My "dream" is to have a well qualified apprentice to take care of practice
rooms 15 hours/week, enduring my vigors for excellence, while he/she
oversees a couple student techs.  No bucks/no luck here, sadly.

I know some of you have a nice program going, so I'm wondering how it got
started?

Best,
Paul