[CAUT] Are we fading?

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Thu Jul 8 19:36:59 MDT 2010

Well, I suppose since  this message got cross-posted to this list, I
suppose  I should repost my reply here also...

On Jul 07/07/10 2:00 PM Paul T. Williams wrote:

Hi Ed,

>I think our profession, on the big scale, is slowly dwindling like the
piano industry as a whole. My chapter here in
>Nebraska, is probably about an average of my age (nearing 50) or better
(at least those who come to the
>meetings), but we have two budding students who are charged up about the
future possibilities!

Paul, I really don't see things as pessimistically as you do. It may be
true that because our profession consists to a large part of "retreads"
- it's typically a second or third career choice - the average age will
be a bit higher than typical in other professions. But, a PTG convention
- especially in a difficult economy - is not the best sample of age
distribution, as we of the gray hair, spreading midriff and suspenders
crowd (thanks Joe) are more likely to have the cash and the leisure to
go. You know, kids out of the house, mortgage almost paid, business well
established...

 I come across plenty young people in our ranks - in their twenties and
thirties. At our San Francisco Chapter meetings you will typically find
a pretty wide age distribution. The trick is to develop interesting and
varied programming with appeal to all levels of competence and not to
allow a chapter to become a narrow homogenous "clique" that ages
together over the years - which then becomes not particularly attractive
to younger people to spend time with a bunch of geezers...  It's sort of
a chicken and egg thing, I suppose...

Then again, a large proportion of the RPT candidates I have tested over
the years tend to be in their 30's and even 20's. The same goes for the
students from North Bennet Street School and Western Ontario I meet -
and I would bet that Paul Revenko Jones could probably say the same
about his students in Chicago (though I can't vouch for that personally).

>We need to recruit more young folks who want to continue in our footsteps.

Can't argue with this. But then there are people who are doing just that
- and have been doing it all along. Joe Garret in Oregon has trained
some crackerjack young technicians over the years, and Lance LaFargue in
New Orleans keeps cranking out these fuzzy-cheeked youths who can run
circles with their technical skills around many of us graybeards. John
Callahan here in the SF Bay area has launched many youths' careers in
his rebuilding shop and so has Margie Williams while her shop was active
- one of them is now chief technician at the University of Denver. I am
sure there are more such everywhere...

>I wish I had the time to properly train some new blood as I have 110
pianos to care for, so lots to learn from. The
>university is always willing to get free "help", at least on the upright
practice room pianos.  The down side for me is
>that I have to immediately go and correct all the mistakes :>( as they
learn;  so the 2 sided coin....heads I win, tails
>you lose. or the other way around, I should say.

>We only offer a one semester class on the basics of piano mechanics in
which I have an average of 3 or 4 students just
>looking for a small bit of education to learn of the instruments they
play. Most of my students are not even piano majors,
>but filling up an elective as it's a cool class.    They're always very
enthusiastic in class, but at the end of the semester,
 >that's all they do.  Sadly, and I think it should be manditory, that
all piano majors take my class; but, then again,
>I don't have the time to teach that many students.

I don't know how feasible it is to do much training in an institutional
setting (though I have some ideas that I might pitch to the appropriate
people given the opportunity) but those of us with their own private
shops are in a much better position to do this. So we should make the
effort...

>It may be a problem in the next 10 years, however, the income
possibilities may be huge for the new blood entering this field.

At least here in Northern California there are plenty younger folk of
both genders who are well positioned  to take advantage - and more show
up from time to time... And - by the way - the fly-by-nights of all ages
have always been with us, and will continue to be with us - as long as
the ignorance about pianos among those who make a living playing them
continues to be as widespread as it has always been. And the good thing
about recessions is that they knock out a fair number of them out of
business - because they don't have the skill set or the equipment to
survive in difficult times and expand into a greater variety of work
when the tunings dry up.  But then again, I have seen enough of those
"quick buck" types actually develop an interest in the profession after
a year or two and eventually become fine technicians. So let's not get
all gloom-and-doomy about a preponderance of gray hair and spreading
midriffs at Las Vegas - it means little, as far as I am concerned...

Israel Stein, RPT