[CAUT] Steinway Broached Hanger History

G Cousins cousins_gerry at msn.com
Thu Jul 1 20:00:04 MDT 2010

Gang,
I received this reply from John Dewey
Gerry Cousins

BEGIN REPLY:
I do not know the date when Steinway changed from the
cast holes to the machined (broached??) holes. I did a Steinway “L”
serial number 428551 which had the large cast holes. I am at my sisters
and do not have anything to look up the manufacturing date by serial
number with me. I think this piano was from the “ CBS era “. In 2000 I
ordered new action brackets from Steinway and they had the machined
small holes.

I have rebuilt Steinway action frames from as old as 1877 through the end
 of the “CBS era“ and they have all had the cast holes. So far I believe I
 have only rebuilt 1 frame with the machined holes and I do not remember
 what the serial number was.

Sorry I could not be more help. You might try Bill Shull

John Dewey