[CAUT] Non-440 tuning request

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Feb 22 15:18:18 MST 2010

On Feb 22, 2010, at 2:43 PM, Jeff Tanner wrote:

> "Engineered" is the key word there. Pianos are engineered for a
> certain pitch and that deserves some respect from those who can't
> play in tune.

Hi Jeff,
	Frankly, the statement about "engineered" is so much poppycock. The
piano is actually engineered to work just fine within a range of pitch
around the vicinity of 440. Pianos can easily take 435 - 445 and more.
OTOH, wind instruments are engineered for a far smaller range of pitch.
	The snide remark about "those who can't play in tune" is, well,
rather disrespectful to say the least. If that is the attitude you
bear to the musicians you work for, I doubt they will be likely to
treat you with respect either.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico