[CAUT] Non-440 tuning request

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 22 14:43:26 MST 2010

Fred,
You describe the "sharpest they can be tuned". That slide can go out as well, no?  You have described what I expected - 441 or higher to be too high for winds. But this was a situation where 440 was too low.

And, I've just got to wonder, since the scale of the piano can stretch fairly well outside the middle octave - say 1.5 to 2 cents at the first overtone/second partial of A4, even more in higher octaves, where are we when we move the middle of the piano upward to 441 or 442 and how does that tune with the overtones of the wind instrument which is "supposed to be" designed for 440?

You hit my point on the head. I don't care what the pitch is, but it needs to stay the same. Since manufacturers design the piano scale for 440, that seems a good place to keep it. Likewise, our EDTs have to be recalculated to tune at anything different.

>From our own PTG literature and, I assume, Steinway's owner's manual:

"Your Steinway piano was tuned many times before it left our factory. It was tuned to and should be maintained at A440 pitch. This is the internationally accepted standard and the standard for which all Steinway pianos are engineered."

"Engineered" is the key word there. Pianos are engineered for a certain pitch and that deserves some respect from those who can't play in tune.
Jeff