[CAUT] Hammer-Lac

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Feb 19 11:46:43 MST 2010

On Feb 19, 2010, at 11:34 AM, Mark Dierauf wrote:

> BTW, one of the reasons that they like pre-lacquering in the factory
> is that it results in less cupping at the crown when the hammers are
> subsequently sliced apart.

Also much more even cutting, as in ending up with hammers more closely
equal in width. The knife goes through lacquer reinforced felt more
positively than the less dense felt, where it could (and did) tend to
wander a bit from side to side. Or maybe it would be more accurate to
say that the felt wanders(ed) under the knife. That was the
explanation I was given for the change, and it makes a lot of sense,
based on my experience in cutting various felts. WIth a denser felt,
this is less of an issue.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico