[CAUT] harpsichord questions

Dorothy Bell dabell58 at earthlink.net
Thu Feb 18 15:48:02 MST 2010

This is an additional plug for the PTG Convention classes on harpsichord string replacement and on foundations of harpsichord and fortepiano prep. I took these classes, in their 2009 versions, at Grand Rapids and learned enormous amounts.

The string replacement class was pre-registered and hands-on, with plenty of instructor time and attention and a stringing setup for each person. I'll tell you, reading about harpsichord stringing is different from doing harpsichord stringing, and having supportive instructors (Anne Garee brought her graduate students as teaching assistants) and supportive tablemates was extremely helpful. And -- a plus in this class -- doing something challenging along with other techs certainly allowed us to know each other better! (There was only a little bloodshed.)

The foundations class was also very helpful. I do recommend sitting as close to the front as you possibly can and taking every opportunity to examine the items available. This is not a class which repays shyness -- the instruments are too subtle to grasp from the back of the hall. When I took it, Robert Murphy from Oberlin was the instructor, and I see that this year he is doing the class with two others, one of whom is our Fred. (This may explain why his mention of the classes was so diffident.)

These two classes were the ones that got me to go to Grand Rapids. I was very glad I went. Marie, I hope you can get to Vegas.

Dorrie Bell
Boston, MA