[CAUT] Hammer-Lac

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu Feb 18 12:24:58 MST 2010

My only issue with that beefing up the shoulders only on a Steinway hammer
is virtually useless.  The hardener must wick into the core of the hammer
underneath the strike point.  While applying it that way seems more cautious
it may not accomplish what needs to be accomplished.  Recall that Steinway
dips the entire hammer into a solution.  Another concern with the brush
approach is that it can harden only the outer layers of felt and maybe only
the very top of the hammer leaving the area under the strike point still too
soft.  That can create a weird effect where the piano is bright when you
play it soft and dull when you play it loud.  The hardness at the tip of the
hammer gets swallowed up, as it were, when the underlying hammer structure
collapses on loud playing.

Anyway, so I'm an advocate for using  a dropper of some sort and allowing
the solution to wick in from the shoulders underneath the crown and then
allow it to creep toward the crown stopping before it actually gets there.
I'm especially careful at the bottom of the tenor bridge and the top of the
bass bridge where end of the bridge effects can create some problems anyway.
The treble section is different and letting it go to the crown is advisable
in my view.  I also use different strength solutions for different sections.
The solids content dictates the solution generally but I use about 9:1 for
the tenor and bass and about 6 or 7:1 for the treble (from about F5 up).

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com