[CAUT] students productivity

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 11 17:34:49 MST 2010

This is actually why I avoided teaching classes. It seems to me that a single technician against 125 pianos can't be doing much piano maintenance if he's having to deal with lesson plans and teaching classes, and then still has to moonlight to make ends meet.  The only way I could have imagined trying to make it work was as a work-study program, with one kid starting as a freshman every year, and so, ideally, you've got the older kids well-enough trained to help with training the newbies. But I tended to find that college students are too busy to rely on for this work. I know I was. Once I got to a certain level of skill and ability, it was tough to make myself work at the university for $10/hour (none of the other work study kids made that much) when I could make 3 times that outside. And then, when I was the boss, my admin only let me pay the kids minimum wage, and by that time the private market rate for tuning was almost 10 times that much. You really open a can of worms when you start teaching kids how to do piano work in the college setting.
Jeff