[CAUT] Thank you for Stability advice

Mccoy, Alan amccoy at ewu.edu
Thu Feb 11 10:11:59 MST 2010

Is Stephen Birkett's video available online? Thanks.

Alan

-- Alan McCoy, RPT
Eastern Washington University
amccoy at ewu.edu
509-359-4627 (message Pacific time)
509-999-9512 (cell Pacific time)

________________________________
From: <PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 22:24:59 -0800
To: CAUTlist <caut at ptg.org>
Subject: Re: [CAUT] Thank you for Stability advice

I've got all of them and use them regularly in our classes. Vivid indeed!

In a message dated 2/10/2010 10:42:26 P.M. Central Standard Time, fssturm at unm.edu writes:

On Feb 10, 2010, at 9:18 PM, PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com  wrote:

Thanks, Fred. Admirable attempt to put a difficult  concept into words. Five  Lectures has its uses,  eh?

Not just Five Lectures, but also the excellent high speed  videography of Stephen Birkett, which makes the theoretical writings visible.  The video he posted of the close up of the Wapin pin is particularly vivid,  showing the "shivering" of the wire at the pin - the various partials  activating it. The bass string videos are also quite helpful for getting the  message that this is, indeed, what happens: a wave propagating from the hammer  blow and reflecting back and forth.

Regards,

Fred Sturm

University of New Mexico

fssturm at unm.edu