[CAUT] locked practice rooms

Porritt, David dporritt at mail.smu.edu
Thu Feb 11 09:24:18 MST 2010

Don:

Our practice room area is locked and access is by swiping the school ID card.  Inside that area, the grand piano practice rooms are locked requiring a key.  Students get keys for the grand piano rooms (they're all keyed the same) if they are registered for applied piano.  When we have auditions, or reasons for outsiders to have access, the practice room area is simply unlocked.  If people need the grand piano rooms someone is assigned to give them access, or the doors are temporarily blocked open.

We did have one problem come up because fire codes required that area to be open.  That was fixed by having the locks on the practice room area tied to the fire alarm system.  If we have a fire drill the doors are automatically unlocked as the alarm sounds (a system not unlike a prison system).

Since we've made these changes we've had far less of a theft problem, and so far vandalism has been eliminated.

The fire code problem took some creative thinking on the part of the architect but it works very well.

If you have questions about our system just let me know.  I'm retired now and have the time!

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
dporritt at smu.edu<mailto:dporritt at smu.edu>