[CAUT] locked practice rooms

Donald McKechnie dmckech at ithaca.edu
Thu Feb 11 07:51:55 MST 2010

List,

After the vandalism in the practice rooms in December I stepped up my
push to have the practice rooms locked. I thought this would be the
best chance but I'm still running into opposition. The concerns
expressed are valid so I'm trying to find solutions.

Besides the cost, the primary opposition against locking the rooms is
access. We have many people coming in the building that need to use
the practice rooms. The school hosts conferences, competitions and
workshops such as MTNA, etc. Also, on our audition days the rooms need
to be open and outside accompanists occasionally need to use these
rooms. All this is seen as a logistical nightmare to allow access when
needed.

Due to the layout of the building and fire codes we do not have the
means to lock the doors into the practice room area. Hiring personnel
to police the area is not in the realm of possibilities. We have been
discussing security cameras and that may happen.

I do not have any good answers to the concerns so I'm throwing this
out to the wisdom on this list. Are there any experiences like I have
outlined? For those who have locked practice rooms, how do you handle
giving access to outside folks?

Regards,
Don

Donald McKechnie