[CAUT] Thank you for Stability advice

Ed Foote a440a at aol.com
Wed Feb 10 13:37:38 MST 2010

 Paul sez,

 It is quite easy to see subtle string shifts by shadow and reflection and by differentiation during a procedure. What I was referring to as undemonstrated is the relationship between the changed curvature of the string and the tonal "improvement". Perhaps one of Ed Sutton's "high-end cause/effect" perceptions? :-)

 Umm,  I had mentioned that the SAT pattern changes when the strings are stress relieved.  I first began doing this when I encountered strings that wouldn't display a clear reading on the SAT, and I could aurally hear trashy partials.  After a light touch with the smooth part of the tuning tip on the string, it is common to see a much clearer pattern in the lights. Sometimes I am able to easily hear the difference, other times, not so much.  So,  I don't think it is a "power of suggestion" thing, but actually a physical difference in the way the string vibrates.
Regards,

Ed Foote RPT