[CAUT] Thank you for Stability advice

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Feb 9 13:28:46 MST 2010

I was being a bit facetious about the placebo effect in the sense of
perceived change in tone but not in the sense of a cure for the problem.  I
wasn't really my goal to start a thread on the placebo effect.   That aside,
anytime you change the contact point on the bridge by tapping or pressing or
pulling  or bending you'll likely get some change in the sound.  That change
may be a positive one, or not (it doesn't always work).  If the bridge pin
is notched and is the cause of the tonal problem (which it can be) then
tapping the string down away from that notch can improve things, at least
temporarily.  Eventually, and often quickly, the string will want to
straighten and find its way back to the notch in the bridge pin.  That's why
some people prefer to tap the bridge pin rather than the string (knowingly
or not), because it moves the bridge pin notch down closer to the bridge cap
and  unifies those two contact points.  However, because of the clamping
effect of the pin on the string it can also simply further indent the edge
of the bridge so that during the next humidity cycle the problems will
either reappear or, if the humidity rises, further damage that edge.  So the
question really is whether it's a permanent fix and and/or whether it
doesn't create more problems in the long run by incurring even further
damage to the edge of the bridge top.  My experience is that the fix is at
best temporary, at worst it doesn't work and just encourages more aggressive
tapping operating under the belief that it should work and thereby creating
more problems.  If the problem is flagpolling then it doesn't work because
tapping the pin down won't stop the flagpolling problem.    In that case
there are other remedies that can be considered.  At least that's my take on
it.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com