[CAUT] Digital cameras was RE: Slipping Beckets pictures

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Tue Feb 9 11:38:39 MST 2010

Excellent point about composition (and not having it dictated by where one can rest one's hands), Barbara.  (But by the same token, if the perspective you need is not possible with a tripod, hand-held it will have to be.)  Unless one is skilled with gun or bow (both of which require being trained on the target before, during and after the shot), routinely using a tripod is a good idea, if feasible.  Also, sometimes you need the extra light of the flash, and its reflection is not a problem.  However, if flash reflection IS an issue, a tripod also allows slower shutter speeds so you can use available light and avoid the flash.  If you are shooting something that is stationary (which is most of the shots we post to each other), this usually works well.  Taking Don's (?) technique of "shooting ten, keeping one (good one)" one step further, I often take several shots of the same subject both with and without flash.  Hey, thanks to the miracle of digital photography, it doesn't cost any more, so why not?

Alan E.