[CAUT] Advice for achieving stability sooner?

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 8 18:38:42 MST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Don Mannino" <DMannino at kawaius.com>
"Another thing that I truly believe helps new pianos settle down faster
is to make them afraid of you.  :-D  This means pulling each string
quite sharp during the pitch raise, using a pounding tool and hitting
the key very hard as you settle it back down to the recommended overpull
point. I think mostly this helps to settle the capo bar string bend into
position a little, but it also helps the string to render through the
full length."

Hi Don,
I've found that Asian pianos do need this for some reason, and it doesn't
always have to be right out of the box. I've used this technique on Asian
pianos which have had tuning instability for years, and it settles them
down. I don't know if it is the rendering, or if the wire stretches (which
is kind of what it feels like), or the coil tightens, or all of the above.
But you're right. This works.

But why is it that I don't seem to find that American pianos respond the
same way?
Tanner