[CAUT] Advice for achieving stability sooner?

Don Mannino DMannino at kawaius.com
Mon Feb 8 10:58:21 MST 2010

Diane,

I think Ron's comments are square on the nose.  The number one issue is
that these are new pianos, fresh from the factory, and were not tuned
anywhere near enough.  You can let the school know that 4 tunings in the
first year is normally recommended by any piano manufacturer.

Practically speaking, you can't simulate the passage of time and force
the pianos to settle down.  The wood is unstable for a while, and so are
the strings.  But there are some things that can help.  The question
becomes (as some have alluded to), will you be paid for stabilizing the
pianos, or is once a year pitch-raise and tuning all the school wants?

I am teaching my Tuning Stability class at the PNW convention on March
7th in the morning.  In that class I demonstrate a process that will
stabilize a new piano (or newly restrung piano) as quickly as possible.
Besides the usual pitch raise and tune, it will take another 20-30
minutes of string work to speed up the string settling process.

Another thing that I truly believe helps new pianos settle down faster
is to make them afraid of you.  :-D  This means pulling each string
quite sharp during the pitch raise, using a pounding tool and hitting
the key very hard as you settle it back down to the recommended overpull
point. I think mostly this helps to settle the capo bar string bend into
position a little, but it also helps the string to render through the
full length.  It's stressful on the arm, too, but a good pounding tool
helps.  But that piano might just try to stay in tune longer just to
keep you from coming back and beating on it so hard!

In the end, though, the customer is boss.  Let's just hope they don't
blame the piano or you for the sour tone through the rest of the year!
They need to tune these pianos more.

Don Mannino RPT
Kawai America
www.kawaius.com