[CAUT] Thank you for Stability advice

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Feb 8 12:41:08 MST 2010

The placebo effect refers generically to the patient believing that a fix
has been administered.  It doesn't need to be medical necessarily and has
application in this work often.  Also, a twenty percent "cure" rate is
pretty darn good considering it's a sugar pill.   In our line of work have
you ever had a customer complain about a note just after you've completed a
tuning and you go to the piano only to find nothing wrong with it and so you
futz around a bit and say ok now try it and they do and it's "perfect".
Well I've never done that J but I've heard of it and apparently it can work!
Placebo effect.

Why should strings need to be encouraged to touch the bridge surface when
you have bridge pins at a 20 degree angle clamping them to the bridge.  If
the bridge is indented at the edge from aggressive string seating or cycles
of expansion and squeezing the string against the bridge pin and the bridge
top I suppose a massage of the string might push it down against the bridge
surface temporarily, but it's likely to be pretty temporary.  I would argue
that that the undeniable, audible improvement in tone that comes from
strings not making contact with the bridge is a false premise.  With
positive bearing (and even without) and bridge pins at reasonable angle the
strings don't need encouragement to touch the bridge surface.  They can
hardly avoid it.  The acute bend in the string leaving the bridge pin is
another matter and if you are in doubt as to that then a gentle massaging of
the string toward the bridge pin, not down toward the cap, can help the
termination in the same way that a gentle lifting of the string at the capo
or agraffe does.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com