[CAUT] Thank you for Stability advice

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Feb 8 08:14:33 MST 2010

The placebo effect is very real.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com

Ok, so now I am a bit confused.  Hopefully the strings do not need/require
seating.  But, if they do...well why not?  I have mixed advice/opinions but
in my limited 40 year experience(s) most of the time there is an audible
improvement as well as improving stability.  I am under the impression that
one can over do the seating process and certainly the overall bearing is a
consideration.  We have a new Baldwin SF (about 5years new) that had similar
issues and notable almost zero bearing.  You could almost see the bridge
under the strings as they crossed the bridge.  And the professor remarked
"what did you do...it sounds so much better".   The tuning frequency has
also decreased.   Any similar experiences, comments, or opinions.

Henry Nicolaides
Piano Technician, School of Music
Southern Illinois University
Carbondale, Illinois