[CAUT] Advice for achieving stability sooner?

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner at msn.com
Sun Feb 7 00:52:06 MST 2010

I just got a contract tuning 9 almost new Kawai UST-9 studio pianos at a local community college.  The pianos were purchased last year about this time and delivered directly to the college, through a snow storm, which we rarely have in this part of the world.  Then they were unboxed in the new music building, DC heating rods with HD humidistats installed, pitch raised and tuned (all the same day).

Now a year of no service at all has gone by, and I have to get them sounding decent.  I started one today.  It was about 30-40cents flat.  After a pitch raise and tuning, I now think it is ready for a tuning!

I'm considering doing less careful pitch raises, but doing two of them before I try to tune.  Have also wondered about tapping strings on bridges.

If anyone can give me advice for making the job less back-breaking and higher quality, I will be very grateful!

Diane Hofstetter