[CAUT] Artist Benches

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Feb 5 13:36:58 MST 2010

Hi Paul,
	I think the Schaff benches are provided by Jansen, though possibly
GRK. You might give them a call and ask. Jansen's wholesale prices are
comparable to what the piano supply houses charge us.
	Do Jansen benches wobble a bit? Well, yes, there is a certain amount
of play, though I don't find it problematic. There has to be a bit of
play, or the mechanism wouldn't adjust. Excess wobble happens when
screws and bolts aren't all tightened, and when the bushings wear, so
it might pay to look closely and see where the wobble is coming from.
Looking more closely at your question, describing the central threaded
rod with washers on each side, I'm thinking it's GRK, since that
doesn't describe current Jansen design (I don't know what GRK is doing
these days). In which case, you can probably tighten up by using an
allen wrench to loosen a positioning setscrew and adjust to take up
any slack (but that is from memory of what I think you are describing).
	I've been happy with Jansen benches.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico