[CAUT] F..riction (rep spring)

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Wed Dec 1 19:08:14 MST 2010

On Dec 1, 2010, at 9:55 AM, David Stanwood wrote:

> This could be another thread but here's my 2 cents...  We find
> ourselves in situations sometimes when the rep spring lifts the
> hammer in a nice controlled motion upon release from the back check
> yet the jack still cannot be made to return under the knuckle...
> even to the point were the repetition lever height adjustment button
> is completely off it's rest pad to no avail.   Repinning the rep
> lever can sometimes make this symptom disappear.  Is this what
> you're referring to Fred?

	Yes, that is what I have experienced, and often it is isolated to one
among neighbors that are fine, so I am very puzzled. Other times it is
widespread, and I am particularly thinking of Baldwins with the
Baldwin style spring. It just doesn't seem to want to support the
hammer, though fortunately it seems to function fine (ie, I trip the
jacks and many or most of the hammers fall and don't rise enough to
let the jack back in, even if I re-pin both hammer and rep and
increase spring strength to max, but I don't - knock on wood - have
complaints or have problems when I play the instrument).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
http://www.cdbaby.com/Artist/FredSturm