[CAUT] F..riction (rep spring)

Don Mannino dmannino at kawaius.com
Wed Dec 1 11:32:49 MST 2010

Good point, David.

This also occurs when the spring slot is gummed up, or the spring has been incorrectly bent so that the spring contacts too close to the rep lever center pin.

But I also believe that a fairly tight rep lever bushing is beneficial to action performance, within reason.  Measuring 4 grams at the drop screw pad is a pretty tight fit and seems to give good performance.   I have had good luck solving repetition and spring return issues this way when I found 0-1 grams resistance in the repetition lever center.  Some advocate even higher friction than this, but I agree also that this can degrade smooth pianissimo playing.

Don Mannino