[CAUT] 0.0 Fortepiano

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Tue Aug 31 12:45:52 MDT 2010

On Aug 30, 2010, at 6:26 PM, David Doremus wrote:

> Jim, that's quite right. I have seen a harpsichord where a trap door
> was cut into the bottom and a damp-chaser inserted. It seemed not to
> hurt anything but I find the idea unappealing if its possible to
> control humidity in the room, which often you can.

There was a time in the late 70s/early 80s when, as I recall, one of
the kit makers (probably Hubbard) was suggesting the possibility of
installing a D/C rod under the board before completing the instrument,
as a permanent install. I suppose quite a few kit makers did so. At
that time, the standard rod was 15W and a 25W was considered hot, so
it probably did/does not harm, at least in humid climates. Not
something I'd recommend, but it is probably out there.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
http://www.createculture.org/profile/FredSturm