[CAUT] Hailun & Suzuki vs. Yamaha

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sun Aug 29 10:47:12 MDT 2010

On Aug 28, 2010, at 9:48 PM, Andrew Anderson wrote:

> There does need to be some expertise to determine if models are
> comparable.  The bid request for a school here in Laredo was quite
> specific as to level of quality desired and a "dealer" from Dallas
> sold a very poor likeness of a piano to them (underbid everyone
> else) and insisted it was the same quality.  No-one in purchasing
> wanted to be educated or bothered to check his claim.

	The people from purchasing can hardly be blamed - how and on what
basis could they check his claim? I don't know of any way to "spec"
pianos in a meaningful way on a bid request. It is possible to load
the dice by specifying "diaphragmatic soundboard," ABS plastic action
parts, or the like, but that kind of spec only steers towards one
specific brand. With state institutions, this is a real problem.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
http://www.createculture.org/profile/FredSturm