[CAUT] Hailun & Suzuki vs. Yamaha

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Aug 27 17:27:13 MDT 2010

On Aug 27, 2010, at 12:52 PM, Andrew Anderson wrote:

> Mr Fine groups good and bad Chinese pianos in too much the same
> basket.  Some are obviously better but he chooses to with-hold
> improved ratings because "they haven't established a long enough
> track record."

	I agree that one would not want to follow Larry Fine blindly, but it
could be useful as an "objective" source under some circumstances. For
the case in question, I assume it would strongly support the
preference for Yamaha, for instance. This is, perhaps, the kind of
evidence purchasing departments would consider credible.
	My strategy is to list acceptable makes and models - based on what is
available from my vendors - as what I am seeking bids for. Then I add
language that allows vendors to submit bids on comparable models. That
way I can determine whether they are, indeed, comparable. It allows
flexibility to purchase unknown or lesser known makes, but also makes
it easier to exclude them when they are obviously inferior.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
http://www.youtube.com/fredsturm