[CAUT] Fortepiano for University

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Aug 27 15:25:06 MDT 2010

Hi Ed!

We have a Walter copy made by Philip Belt which is supposed to be
something similar to the forte from Beethoven or Mozart's time.  Malcolm
Bilson at Cornell can give you much more information than I know.  He was
here about 2 years ago and gave me many free "lessons" on our instrument
and taught me how to move it myself with very little effort.  He might be
a good source of what's out there these days.

It's a very nice forte and sounds great after Malcolm and I tweeked it a
bit.  Robert Murphy at Oberlin also knows this instrument you may also
want to contact. He's up on old stuffs as well :>)

Stays in tune about like a harpsichord, but is much sturdier and strings
rarely break.

Hope this helps a bit.

Paul T. Williams RPT
Piano Technician