[CAUT] Installing New Let-Off Buttons

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Mon Aug 23 18:05:02 MDT 2010

On Aug 23, 2010, at 2:21 PM, Paul Milesi, RPT wrote:

> Unhappy with my own work on this one.  How can I do better next time?

	With respect to the existing piano, and the unsatisfactory results,
fix them by bending the threaded wires. The bend should be as close as
possible right where it leaves the button, and this can be done fairly
quickly and easily with the dowel capstan pliers. And, yes, just go
ahead and bend those wires. Far better that let off can be fine
adjusted for the next 5 to 30 to 60 years until a new set of buttons
is installed. At worst, the next person has to replace the threaded
wires - far less a big deal than cursing at how impossible it is to
fine regulate let off for all those years. Just my opinion <G>.
	Procedure is to figure out how the button is canted, and line up the
button so the bend you want to make is in line with the rail.  Then
grip firmly with the pliers and twist. It's nice if the button is
close to the rail, but not necessary.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
“Art is not a mirror held up to reality, but a hammer with which to
shape it.” Brecht