[CAUT] New shanks from WNG/boring issues

Michael Magness ifixpiano at gmail.com
Fri Aug 20 09:03:54 MDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 5:37 PM, Paul T Williams <
pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have these new shanks from WNG and ordered a set of Wally's naturals
> which they bored at exactly what WNG suggested was 0.185" or (4.7mm).
>  shanks are 4.7mm and the same for the boring hole...so guess what- they
> won't go on the shank!. I talked to one of the folks at Brooks and he
> suggests reaming the hammer a bit to get some play between hammer and shank.
>  More widened toward the shank end of the hammer hole than the back.   these
> won't even slide on the shank, so I'll need to ream or re-bore.  I'm leaning
> toward reaming as John at Brooks suggested this to make the hole closer to
> to same at the back of the boring hole with room for the glue at the front
> of the hole. He's tried several attacks, and WNG keeps changing the deck.
> I'm now very nervous of where to go, but need y'all's input on what you're
> finding.  Now with the NEW SHANKS< NOT SCORED IN ANY WAY type.  just smooth
> to the end.
>
> What have you all found to be the best solution to this? I'm not going
> forward until I hear some of your stories.
>
> These are the newest shanks with no roughing needed at the tail end of the
> shank.
>
> It sounds like this is still in developement with us to determine the right
> procedures, and I'm a bit nervous with a $400+ set of hammers...even with
> free shanks.  I want to get it right the first time
>
> Thanks for more input.
> Paul

The shanks are to be roughened in line with the shank rather than around
DAMHIK
I am still re-gluing hammers from my first set that I roughened in a
circular fashion as the loosen in a school piano.

I made the desicion on my 2nd set to not use the glue that came with the
shanks, didn't care for it. I bored my hammers larger & used Franklins
moulding & trim glue, worked great!

Mike
--

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without
accepting it.

    Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service