[CAUT] Steinway damper felt

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Mon Aug 16 15:09:43 MDT 2010

Sounds like a bad set of dampers.  Do you have some Yamaha style dampers
on hand for the sad ones?  I've had great results from them.

If you're in a pinch, have you tried slicing the trichords down the middle
and introducing some yarn or small thread up in there to widen the gap?
Audry Karibenus in Seattle offered me this bit of advise years and years
ago if you're getting some "leaking" from one string or another. Or, you
can string hook a bit on the side of the bad string toward the middle to
bring the 3 closer together, but I don't really like doing that as it
might cause a false beat.

Is this section-wide, or just a couple?  You may also need, being a new
back action, need some re-bending of guide rail wires, and you might be
happy how fast a weird noise goes away. New damper actions are a bear!
Recheck the travel of the wires.

Anything else?

Tell me more...
Paul