[CAUT] temperament

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Apr 23 13:09:37 MDT 2010

On Apr 22, 2010, at 9:36 PM, Israel Stein wrote:

> While the actual skill of moving the pins on a harpsichord or a
> lightly strung wood-framed piano is quickly and easily learned (not
> much more demanding than turning a violin peg), the metal framed
> pianos with much heavier stringing, all those friction points and
> much more tightly held tuning pins required the development of a
> hammer technique through extensive practice to even be able to come
> close to a semblance of a temperament pattern (whichever one was
> being aimed for) - never mind stability.

	Another factor is the unison (not operated by stops, so requiring
some kind of mute and technique to use it), and the very confusing
arrays of tuning pins, not on grands so much as squares and uprights.
Reading Montal's description of the various tuning pin patterns, and
problems of figuring out which pin you are on, and uprights with
hammers striking toward the player (etc, etc) - lots more variety than
we see today - a non-professional would have a hard time of it.
Another factor is complex action mechanisms that are far more likely
to have problems (Montal calls it becoming "derangé") - than jacks in
a harpsichord, where you are pretty much fine until a quill breaks -
and an amateur can learn to replace one passably fairly easily.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
fssturm at unm.edu
http://www.youtube.com/fredsturm