[CAUT] temperament

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Thu Apr 22 21:36:12 MDT 2010

Thu, 22 Apr 2010 13:37:09 -0600 Fred Sturm wrote:

> 	The rise of the profession of tuning came at the same time as
> industrialization, with book learning becoming a much more important
> component (tuning and repair manuals/books began to be published
> shortly after 1750 in Germany). I'm not sure there are any records of
> tuning being taught systematically as a profession prior to Montal at
> the Paris school for the blind in the 1820s. We might assume
> apprenticeship (probably at a manufacturer) as the major means of
> education, unless someone picked up a book and self-taught. In urban
> centers, it seems it was customary to get a tuner from a local
> manufacturer, even in the times of harpsichords (I am thinking Pepys
> and Jean Denis here). The profession as an independent way to make a
> living probably arose when there was enough demand that individuals
> could branch off on their own, I'd suspect between the very late 18th
> century and mid 19th century.

Fred,

I cannot quote a source, but I remember reading some time ago a
discussion of the rise of the professional tuner (a rather brief one, if
I remember correctly) which cited the need for developing a "hammer
technique" to tune the increasingly heavier strung pianos as one of the
factors in the rise of the professional tuner. While the actual skill of
moving the pins on a harpsichord or a lightly strung wood-framed piano
is quickly and easily learned (not much more demanding than turning a
violin peg), the metal framed pianos with much heavier stringing, all
those friction points and much more tightly held tuning pins required
the development of a hammer technique through extensive practice to even
be able to come close to a semblance of a temperament pattern (whichever
one was being aimed for) - never mind stability. So until that time the
wealthy and the noble hired harpsichord and piano tuners - working
musicians without patrons and the less wealthy tuned their own. Until it
became impossible - due to changing piano technology - to tune their own
without taking the time to perfect "hammer technique". This might have
been a significant factor in increasing demand and making "tuning" a
viable profession. If this is true, that would suggest that this point
in time came later rather than earlier in your conjectured time frame,
above.

Fascinating discussion, by the way...

Israel Stein