[CAUT] ET vs UET

Jeff Tanner tannertuner at bellsouth.net
Fri Apr 23 09:18:07 MDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fred Sturm" <fssturm at unm.edu>
> So we run up against the question, once again, of where the limits of
> significance actually lie. Is it, in fact, significant that some small
> minority can hear the difference and values it? (Well, it is  significant
> for those people, assuming they are actually that acute  and sensitive in
> their hearing and that suggestibility is not a part  of the phenomenon).

I am convinced that suggestibility is a huge part of the phenomenon.
Consider the question I brought a couple months back about the clarinetist
and tuning at 441. Part of the reason I questioned the credibility of the
request, I neglected to share in my question. When the musician requested
441, I teased that they were just trying to make life difficult for people
with perfect pitch. And then, as if she felt she had a lesson to teach the
guy who's been studying tuning longer than she's been alive, her
matter-of-fact response to that was verbatim, "Actually, perfect pitch is at
442." I could not help allowing the laugh to escape before I could restrain
myself. Where do these people get these ridiculous notions? So, is the
request for non-440 tunings or non-ET tunings founded in the same
credibility as the misguided belief in a rumor that perfect pitch is at 442?

Do we not call out-of-tune chords "color" just because that is how someone
else has described them? Where some hear varying degrees of "color", I hear
varying degrees of out-of-tune because I haven't been brainwashed to hear it
as "color". In fact, that is the scientific reality of what we are hearing,
and in some ways the realization of that reality makes me almost feel a
little more enlightened than if I understood it as "color". I don't mean
that to sound pompous by any means. That is just how I hear it and
understand it - not so much art as a scientific reality. Isn't there a group
that still believes the earth is flat and the rest of us have all been
duped?

I think because "success" in the music performance world requires the
musician to have something different to offer, if musicians are told
something by someone they respect, or someone offering some new idea that
sounds like they know something no one else knows yet, they accept it, begin
to believe it and begin to require it, no matter how unfounded and
preposterous the idea is. This is how musicians carve their little niche.
They must be different to get noticed.

Jeff