[CAUT] ET vs UET

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Fri Apr 23 07:14:38 MDT 2010

 I have seldom had players comment directly about the temperament, unless,
perhaps, I set up the situation to require a comment. More often, if I have
done good work, they will just say "Wow, the piano sounds good!"
They have said this when I changed the temperament from ET to WT, and also
when I have changed it from WT to ET. Generally an extra pass over the
octaves and unisons in mid-treble range is probably the best value-added
tuning work I can give.

I am still trying to articulate something about the sound of the modern
piano, and the mode of listening with which we hear it. This performance by
Lang Lang perhaps illustrates what I mean:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz_BlYlBi40

I realize his approach has been questioned, but I pick this because it is an
extreme illustration. I don't think temperament subtleties have much to do
with this music as he plays it. We are too caught up listening to other
things: subtleties of voicing, timbre, resonance, dynamics, melodic shaping
and...rubato... We just want the temperament to get out of the way and not
distract from what he is doing.

For full disclosure I should say that I was once a convinced Jorgensenian
(even though I was aware of his logical eccentricities), and that over years
of exploring, I've reached a different place. There was a time when I wanted
pianos to be harpsichords, and wanted modern pianos to be fortepianos. Now I
can tell the difference, and enjoy each in its own right.

Thank you for humoring my struggle to have new ideas. I'll be gone for a
week.

Ed Sutton